Saturday, August 30, 2008

Food Nazi

Over the past several months there have been times when I have not been able to do even the few things that remain my family responsibilities. One of my remaining jobs is ordering the groceries on-line at Harris Teeter where my husband then goes and picks up the filled order at a designated time.

During the weeks I was unable to fulfill this responsibility, I noticed that the house was suddenly filled with previously forbidden foods, mostly "sugar cereals." There were Apple Jacks and Fruity Pebbles, Froot Loops and Corn Pops. I finally felt compelled to raise the issue with issue with Bill.

My mother calls me the Food Nazi because she thinks I am too strict with the kids about what they can eat. I admit that I have issues with food. I prefer for the kids to eat the least processed foods possible; I'd rather make the cookies, cakes, and pies myself than buy them. That way I know what it is them. And I do believe the best philosophy is "All things in moderation." But my definition "moderation" does not translate into daily consumption. Sweet cereals are fine as a treat when my parents want to spoil them but every day is too much.

The sugar content bothers me but what really troubles me is the colors. In nature bright blue means, "Don't touch." Bright blue makes me think of poison tree frogs. Of course one could argue that mangoes, apples, and banana are colorful but they aren't neon, and they don't turn your poop different colors (although when I fed Amelia blueberries as a baby it looked like she had pooped a smurf). So I'll admit my reasoning is not fool-proof.

I asked Bill not to buy the cereals, which I realize is especially difficult if he gets stuck dragging the kids along to the store with him. So I renewed my vow to order the groceries once a week. Yesterday I called Bill at work to make sure I had everything on the list. He reminded me to get cereal. What do you want? "I want Honey Nut Cheerios and the kids want sweet cereals," he replied. "Hadn't we just talked about this," I thought, "Bill, they cannot eat sweet cereal every day. I'm not ordering them." I longed for the day when I had the strength to make Aidan's oatmeal from scratch every morning and felt like he was eating a really healthy breakfast.

I can just imagine the dramatic transformation that will occur in my pantry when I am longer around to piss and moan about Bill's purchases. But as long as I still have the strength to do so, I will try to continue my reign as the Food Nazi.

4 comments:

Bird Spot said...

Way to go, Mommy Food Nazi! You and I have the same philosophy when it comes to cereal, and apparently our husbands do too. My mom was a health-food nut and NEVER bought sugary cereals for us kids. My husband, on the other hand, got to eat sugary cereals regularly. Guess whose mom is dead and guess whose mom is 82?

Despite that my mom's healthy eating habits didn't keep her alive past 60, I still don't buy cereal for my kids that have more than 10 grams of sugar per serving. Honey Nut Cheerios is the staple at our house and if we run out on a given morning, I literally have to get up and make a cheerios run at the 24-hour Harris Teeter before 7:00 AM on a school morning.

When David goes shopping, he very often breaks our 10 grams of sugar or fewer rule. It's a treat for the kids and dessert for David. It's ok once in awhile but not every day.

Maybe Bill could adopt the 10g or less rule of thumb. You'd be surprised at how many cereals pass this test that satisfy both mom and kids.

Happy cereal eating!!

Liz said...

Food Nazis Unite!

We too avoid the sugary cereals, but we too have given in to Honey Nut Cheerios and Honey Comb, mainly because they are two of the few that contain actual SUGAR as opposed to High Fructose Corn Syrup - a serious no-no in our house. We often explain to the kids that some of the edible items they see advertised and want to eat are not, in fact, FOOD. Or at least, not any "part of a nutritious breakfast" any more than dessert is part of dinner. So now they want to buy Coco Pebbles to have for dessert. Ack!

Tutti Chic said...

This is such a wonderful blog you have created. I am enjoying reading it so much & praise your strength of character, your courage, & your willingness to share the good & the bad in your daily life! You are in my prayers. As far as the cereal goes...I am an absolute sugar addice that preaches but doesn't practice!LOL! They will all be better off for your concern about the "sugar" (it's almost a bad word now!) I'm off to read more of your wonderful blog~hugs, chris

Amanda said...

Keep it up. I know that it may be frustrating that your loved ones overlook the consequences of choosing poor foods to consume.
I am 23 and I have been off of refine sugar for quite some time. As a child my mother fed me anything I wanted. I was overweight and suffered from verbal abuse at school. I tried to diet but my mom said it was unhealthy.
so i want to thank you for being so conscious of your families' health. don't be hard on yourself...it is hard to battle when children are so easily addicted to the refine sugars, preservatives, etc...
keep on shinning...